Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Physical Activity: Cancer's biggest nemesis

On 4th March 2012, I had been invited to speak at Asian Breast Cancer Conference on 'Weight Gain, Diet & Physical Activity issues in Breast Cancer Survivors'. But I wasn't planning on going there and be another yes man. It was on purpose I focused only on Physical Activity, otherwise in trying to address to many issues, I would have diluted the most important one.

I took the oncology fraternity to task.
If they have known for a long time that exercise and physical activity reduces cancer risk by 25-50% and side effects in survivors from inactivity is as bad as disease itself, then why don't they talk more about it. Only a quarter bring up exercise to their patients.

I was looking to get a reaction, whether it be a shoe thrown at me or saying, wow... Let's work together on this... But the audience was very sedated... courtesy the pharmaceutical industry that sponsors conferences like these. There was no response. I finished my talk by saying "my role model is Lance Armstrong, a man who did amazing things in world of sports after he was diagnosed, treated and then survived cancer." Since then he's been banned for doping, but he's still a superstar to me.

Enjoy the presentation.




No comments:

Post a Comment