Friday, November 23, 2012

The challenge of medical empowerment

"Rather than just reform healthcare, efforts should be made to help people maintain or regain their own health"

The title of this post was also the title of the piece done by someone else today in Mint newspaper. I was so excited to see someone else talk in my tone that I just needed to steal the title.


To read the full story, click here


Below is my response which never made it to the newspaper.



I just read your brilliant piece in Mint Newspaper titled 'The challenge of medical empowerment'. Thanks a million miles for an amazing piece, questioning the whole healthcare industry in a very sutle manner.
I also write regularly on this theme in Mint newspaper where I question conventional wisdom and practices. Even though I run a clinic(s) called Back 2 Fitness (www.b2f.in) where the focus is exactly what is mentioned above, to me it's more of a move-mint, where this change needs to happen at a far larger scale globally.

But then, does this philosophy make any sense to the corporate healthcare industry! Almost never is the patient the focus for them. I was once told by a 'good' guy in the industry that health is a state matter and not a concern for the corporates getting involved in it. :) Such people, who are in majority, simply suffer from a it'll-never-happen-to-me-or-my-loved-ones syndrome.

I actually see this folly of theirs as an opportunity. I practice common sense medicine, which is non-existent today. And luckily it's not work for me. It's fun. It's passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment